Thread: Games: What games are you currently playing? [OT!]

  1. #1961
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Wiseman

    Halo 2 SPOILERS

    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .

    Sadly, they're back in the sequel. I fail to see how Bungie deemed their return an enjoyable twist, they really arent much fun.
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    END OF SPOILERS

  2. #1962
    Inactive Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    4,127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Wiseman: SPOILERS

    So I guess Cortana randomly jumped and had the bad luck of ending up near Halo, which was unhabited except for the sleeping Flood, and the Covenant followed their jump as they discussed in the first cut-scenes and seized Halo.

    Some Covenant followed their jump, but some were already there, that's why the Silent Cartographer was such a well held level.

    They plagued it for when I landed, and later they discovered the Flood and thought it could be a lot of fun releasing it, but now they are getting killed just as much as humans.

    They released it on accident the Prophets only wish to activate Halo to kill all life so they can go on their "Great Journey."

    However, I wonder why they still bother attacking humans instead of allying, at least until we get rid of the Flood.

    In the books humans and covenant would fight side by side to kill the flood then go back to killing each other, problem with the game is the AI is not programed as such.

    As for the ancients, how on Halo were they so smart to build Halo, and so stupid to mass exterminate everything (presumably including themselves) to "fix the Flood problem"?

    No idea, actually.

    And what if we just let them have Halo, and blast it later or something? Won't that stop the Flood anyways? Or they can travel through space and bit some alien in the butt?

    The Flood absorb all information of the host, such as to fly ships. If they absorb a few Elite or Engineers (mechanical Covenant that do a lot of word) then they would learn a lot about how to fly the ships and take over other planets.

    Thanks.

    Hey, I love this stuff.

    Now I'm trying to destroy generator 2 to piss 343 off, but this is full of Gnosis.

    Yea, try Shotgun, Rocket, or Pistol.

    BTW, is Halo 2 story mode so full of Flood as well?

    About half of it.

    I think the game was more fun without them.

    A lot of people agree, but I've gotten used to them, not to the point of liking them, however.

    I don't mind the larger ones (althogh I don't like random monster type things), but the infection units are always trying to hump my legs.

    One word. Melee.

    -----

    IRT Cat: Fun to smack with a sword.

  3. #1963
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT N: *HALO SPOILERS*

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    Some Covenant followed their jump, but some were already there

    Oh, so it was damn lucky Cortana randomly went near Halo? Otherwise I guess the Covenant would have started it.


    the Prophets only wish to activate Halo to kill all life

    Oh, so the bastards knew what it did. I don't think the rest of the Covenant would be too happy about this, won't they stop the Prophets? Oh and BTW, out of the guys I've been killing, who are/were the Prophets?


    [Ancients nuking themselves with Halo] No idea, actually.

    Guess they got nihilistic or fucked up in their free time, and decided it would be hardkore to toast all life.


    The Flood absorb all information of the host

    Damn, I was lucky them because everybody they absorbed seemed to be morons that went directly towards me. In fact they are much easier to kill than the Covenant (and have much worse aim), only they are disgusting and come in too big numbers. I just walk forwards, shoot a bullet, and retreat to some narrow corridor, and they'll be nice enough to come to me one by one so I can shoot the crap out of everybody. I've feared single hunters more than a horde of Flood. BTW, hunters never seem to get caught, fortunately.


    try Shotgun, Rocket, or Pistol

    Actually, I don't like human stuff too much, it looks really backwards compared to Covenant technology. Look at the surface vehicles, for example: a military car which requires 2 people to shoot, slides a lot, can't turn if jumping, and provides no shielding, versus a cool levitating ship which gets damaged instead of myself and I can shoot. And the awesome Banshees (yay, I've learnt their name), they can even fly backwards, which is really useful.

    As for the weapons, I use this:

    - For the Covenant: the green plasma shooting thing (the once I can hold for very fat shots), alternating with the blue one if I'm out of greens, keeping a secondary weapon - the sniper rifle, or, if I can't find any, the rocket launcher. I use them for hunters and enemy vehicles.

    - For the Flood: the blue plasma shooting thing, alternating with greens if I'm out of blues, and the... chaingun? That thing with 60 bullet loads. Only case I like a regular human weapon. Oh, and in the distance, the... sting? spur? I don't know how they may call it in English, that purple thing rocks with them.

    Human weapons hit immediately, which is good for moving targets like the little shits, but they have a lot of dispersion, so they suck in long distances. Plus until the flood they are hard to get since I'm not fighting humans. Charge times are more or less like overheating. Covenant weapons have much smaller dispersion and are great in the distance, as long as the target doesn't move, plus the green one can do amazing damage (more than any other weapon that's not the sniper rifle or the rocket launcher).


    [Flood in Halo 2] About half of it.

    Damn. Hope you get a flamethrower.


    [I think the game was more fun without them] A lot of people agree

    Killing the Covenant honors the subtitle (Combat Evolved), as we keep hiding, covering, using camouflage, riding vehicles, etc., while killing the Flood is like Sam & Max or Doom, just go berserk and kill a horde of bugs. Definitely less fun IMO.


    [Killing infection units] Melee.

    It works? Never tried it, wasted so much ammo. Guess I don't want them near me. Actually, I only use the melee attack to break glass windows when I want to whore some attention at no ammo cost, like I mentioned before.

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    **

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ November 22, 2004 08:58 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  4. #1964
    Inactive Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    4,127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh, so it was damn lucky Cortana randomly went near Halo? Otherwise I guess the Covenant would have started it.

    If they could have gotten the Index.

    Oh, so the bastards knew what it did. I don't think the rest of the Covenant would be too happy about this, won't they stop the Prophets?

    HALO 2 SPOILERS:
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    The Arbitor (special Elite) asks the Oracle (343 Guilty Spark) what Halo does and 343 basically tells him how it destroys all life. Elites, Grunts and Hunters rebel. Drones, Jackals and Brutes too stupid to realize, and follow the Prophets. You can see quite a bit of religion bashing that is cleverly hidden within the Halo story.
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    End Spoilers

    Oh and BTW, out of the guys I've been killing, who are/were the Prophets?

    Basically the leaders of the Covenant.

    Guess they got nihilistic or fucked up in their free time, and decided it would be hardkore to toast all life.

    It is really hard to say.

    Damn, I was lucky them because everybody they absorbed seemed to be morons that went directly towards me. In fact they are much easier to kill than the Covenant (and have much worse aim), only they are disgusting and come in too big numbers. I just walk forwards, shoot a bullet, and retreat to some narrow corridor, and they'll be nice enough to come to me one by one so I can shoot the crap out of everybody.

    Or you could just run and gun with the shotty on easy.

    I've feared single hunters more than a horde of Flood. BTW, hunters never seem to get caught, fortunately.

    I think Hunters are too big to support the Flood. But you know one Shotgun blast or a Sniper Round or a single Pistol shot to the back kills Hunters. Of course this only works if you hit the fleshy orange spots.

    Actually, I don't like human stuff too much, it looks really backwards compared to Covenant technology.

    Human Pistol = Perfect.

    Look at the surface vehicles, for example: a military car which requires 2 people to shoot, slides a lot, can't turn if jumping, and provides no shielding, versus a cool levitating ship which gets damaged instead of myself and I can shoot.

    True, Warthogs are better for certain things however. Like stealing flags.

    And the awesome Banshees (yay, I've learnt their name), they can even fly backwards, which is really useful.

    Sadly, they removed the flying backwards thing in Halo 2.

    - For the Covenant: the green plasma shooting thing (the once I can hold for very fat shots),

    Great on Legendary, not needed on other levels.

    alternating with the blue one if I'm out of greens,

    Yea, I like it too.

    keeping a secondary weapon - the sniper rifle, or, if I can't find any, the rocket launcher. I use them for hunters and enemy vehicles.

    True, however I usually carry a Human Pistol first and switch out my second weapon.

    - For the Flood: the blue plasma shooting thing, alternating with greens if I'm out of blues,

    Give me a Pistol or Shotty any day over those two, however they are useful if you don't have any ammo. Human pistol is perfect for removing their limbs.

    and the... chaingun? That thing with 60 bullet loads. Only case I like a regular human weapon.

    They Assault Rifle, it's good against Grunts and Infection forms, but that is about it IMO.

    Oh, and in the distance, the... sting? spur? I don't know how they may call it in English, that purple thing rocks with them.

    Needler. It's okay, good against Elites, I never use them that much, however. Used them a lot in Halo 2, though, two at once is great.

    Human weapons hit immediately, which is good for moving targets like the little shits, but they have a lot of dispersion, so they suck in long distances.

    Not the pistol, rocket or sniper. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Plus until the flood they are hard to get since I'm not fighting humans.

    True but I've gotten used to where everything is.

    Charge times are more or less like overheating.

    Back pack reloading is the way to go. (Hit Reload, Reload, Switch weapons and say your rocket will reload while you are firing your sniper.)

    Covenant weapons have much smaller dispersion and are great in the distance, as long as the target doesn't move, plus the green one can do amazing damage (more than any other weapon that's not the sniper rifle or the rocket launcher).

    The plasma pistol is okay at a distance but I still prefer my Human Pistol, since it has a scope.

    Damn. Hope you get a flamethrower.

    Sadly, it is not in there.

    Killing the Covenant honors the subtitle (Combat Evolved), as we keep hiding, covering, using camouflage, riding vehicles, etc., while killing the Flood is like Sam & Max or Doom, just go berserk and kill a horde of bugs. Definitely less fun IMO.

    True, but the Flood freaked me out the first night I saw them. They may grow on you, even though their AI is "dumb."

    It works? Never tried it, wasted so much ammo.

    If you're sneaky you can also hit all non-Hunter, non-Flood enemies in the back for a one hit kill.

    Guess I don't want them near me.

    I can't blame you.

    Actually, I only use the melee attack to break glass windows when I want to whore some attention at no ammo cost, like I mentioned before.

    Well it's good against Grunts, Jackals, unshield Elites, plus in the back like I said above.

  5. #1965
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    *HALO SPOILERS*

    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?

    If they could have gotten the Index.

    Considering how bad they are, I doubt it. But if they had a good general that arranged a pack of hunters behind a line of shield lizards, they'd have some possibilities.

    And wait, what if they didn't release the Flood? Maybe 343 wouldn't have let them have the index.

    ?
    ?
    ?

    *END OF SPOILERS*


    *HALO 2 SPOILERS*

    ?
    ?
    ?

    Elites, Grunts and Hunters rebel. Drones, Jackals and Brutes too stupid to realize, and follow the Prophets

    Cool, um... could you tell me who is who? &gt;_&gt; Besides the hunters.


    You can see quite a bit of religion bashing that is cleverly hidden within the Halo story.

    Another good thing.

    ?
    ?
    ?

    *END OF SPOILERS*


    one Shotgun blast or a Sniper Round or a single Pistol shot to the back kills Hunters

    Didn't know, but anyways, how am I supposed to go near enough to shoot with the pistol? I'd get my ass covered with green plasma if I tried. I always do extreme things to kill them, like rocket, sniper, grenades, running over them with the car, or a lot of max. green shot then run and hide.


    True, Warthogs are better for certain things however.

    Only good thing I can think of is shooting in any direction providing your buddy is smart enough, and if you have a third one, extra shooting, although you spend ammo. However, the levitating alien thing can move sideways, which sort of compensates this.


    Sadly, they removed the flying backwards thing in Halo 2.

    Oh [img]frown.gif[/img] I guess people would abuse it like I do.


    Hit Reload, Reload, Switch weapons and say your rocket will reload while you are firing your sniper.

    Huh? You mean hit twice Reload, then switch? I tried reloading and switching but it would cancel reloading.


    I haven't tried the pistol much, in fact I always ditch it as soon as I can because I thought it'd be like the pistol in every other game (crap you use when you're out of ammo). I'll give it a try against the flood, but something I don't like of human weapons is that I can't see what exactly am I hitting in the distance; plasma is slow but you can clearly see the path, what it hits, etc.

    What's good is that the more enemies you have, the more ammo you get, so you rarely get out of it. I don't mind having only 2 weapons and switching between them, I think you end up using all of them, and more cleverly. In Quake, I'd just use the best weapon until I'm out of it, then switch to the second best, and so on.

    I love the open environments, especially those in the first chapter, but also those in the snow, but the inside facilities can get really boring, especially starting from the "go to the control room" chapter, where you'd get series of 1 or 2 kinds of room structures (all of which are like a room with boxes with a smaller room inside with breakable glass windows), joint by corridors with one checkpoint each. It gets repetitive, plus it's not a structure I like because it's easy to get ambushed and hard to lure the enemy.

    I also love vehicles of any sort (but damn, never tried the tank). The more vehicles I get to use the better.

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ November 23, 2004 07:23 PM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  6. #1966
    Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2002
    Posts
    3,653
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've been playing Half-life 2 and Counter Strike source when i've had time. Half Life just rules, but Counter Strike is a bit of a surprise for someone used to Halo. You normally die in a few shots. I need to get used to it.

    I'm starting to think dirty thoughts right now. I'd explain, but i need to listen to the Gunslinger Girl OST some more.

  7. #1967
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Golden Sun2: TLA
    Super Mario DS
    Metroid Hunters

  8. #1968
    Inactive Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    4,127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Halo and Halo 2 SPOILERS non-major.
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    Considering how bad they are, I doubt it. But if they had a good general that arranged a pack of hunters behind a line of shield lizards, they'd have some possibilities.

    Sword Elite could pwn them, all they need is a squad of those.

    And wait, what if they didn't release the Flood? Maybe 343 wouldn't have let them have the index.

    Well, they'd work at it, that is for sure.

    Cool, um... could you tell me who is who? &gt;_&gt; Besides the hunters.

    Jackals-Shield guys, Grunts-Little funny guys, Brutes-Big guys, sort of primate looking (new in Halo 2), Drones-Flying bugs (new to Halo 2), Elites-Guys with shields like yours, Prophets-Like I said the leaders of the Covenant.

    Didn't know, but anyways, how am I supposed to go near enough to shoot with the pistol? I'd get my ass covered with green plasma if I tried. I always do extreme things to kill them, like rocket, sniper, grenades, running over them with the car, or a lot of max. green shot then run and hide.

    You can shoot a long way with the pistol. Shotgun will save you ammo, though.

    Only good thing I can think of is shooting in any direction providing your buddy is smart enough, and if you have a third one, extra shooting, although you spend ammo. However, the levitating alien thing can move sideways, which sort of compensates this.

    It's easier IMO to splatter Hunters in the Hog.

    Oh I guess people would abuse it like I do.

    To tell you the truth I am unsure why they removed it.

    Huh? You mean hit twice Reload, then switch? I tried reloading and switching but it would cancel reloading.

    Yea, hit reload twice then switch. It's a glitch.

    I haven't tried the pistol much, in fact I always ditch it as soon as I can because I thought it'd be like the pistol in every other game (crap you use when you're out of ammo). I'll give it a try against the flood, but something I don't like of human weapons is that I can't see what exactly am I hitting in the distance; plasma is slow but you can clearly see the path, what it hits, etc.

    Cat can back me up on this when I say the pistol is the most used weapon in the game, also the most powerful.

    What's good is that the more enemies you have, the more ammo you get, so you rarely get out of it. I don't mind having only 2 weapons and switching between them, I think you end up using all of them, and more cleverly. In Quake, I'd just use the best weapon until I'm out of it, then switch to the second best, and so on.

    Yep, makes it more realistic.

    Considering how bad they are, I doubt it. But if they had a good general that arranged a pack of hunters behind a line of shield lizards, they'd have some possibilities.

    Or the sword Special Ops Elites like I said.

    And wait, what if they didn't release the Flood? Maybe 343 wouldn't have let them have the index.

    They'd probably just shoot him or use that thing in Halo 2.

    I love the open environments, especially those in the first chapter, but also those in the snow, but the inside facilities can get really boring, especially starting from the "go to the control room" chapter, where you'd get series of 1 or 2 kinds of room structures (all of which are like a room with boxes with a smaller room inside with breakable glass windows), joint by corridors with one checkpoint each. It gets repetitive, plus it's not a structure I like because it's easy to get ambushed and hard to lure the enemy.

    True, I got tired of it at first but that is where I honed my close combat Sniping, now I do not mind.

    I also love vehicles of any sort (but damn, never tried the tank). The more vehicles I get to use the better.

    Then you would love Halo 2.
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    *
    End Spoilers.

    LAN TONIGHT WHOO!

  9. #1969
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT N: Sorry, my last post was screwed (I accidentally pasted everything I had before the last two paragraphs, so most of it was posted twice).


    Cat can back me up on this when I say the pistol is the most used weapon in the game, also the most powerful.

    I'll try using it some more.


    you would love Halo 2

    Great, do you know if they'll make a version for all PCs anytime soon?

  10. #1970
    Inactive Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    4,127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll try using it some more.

    Yep, I use it on every map.

    Great, do you know if they'll make a version for all PCs anytime soon?

    Sadly, I have heard no word on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •